Safer 3D Panoramic Imaging
Burke & Redford Orthodontists is committed to offering our patients the safest and most advanced treatment options, which is why we use cone beam technology for our advanced 3D radiography imaging. This technology provides high-quality images with the lowest dose radiation available for patient safety, in addition to fully featured treatment planning software.
The dental cone beam has become industry standard technology, and our unit, made by Planmeca, is one of the pioneers—winning numerous awards and accolades from educators, evaluators and dental publications. The Planmeca ProMax® 3D has been the best cone beam CT scanner for several years running, which is why we choose to use it at our private practice.
How 3D Imaging Works
The Planmeca ProMax 3D is an x-ray system that uses a cone beam (which is merely an x-ray beam shaped like a cone) to move around a patient’s head and mouth area, which produces a large number of high-quality images so the doctors can see the required areas needed for treatment in great detail. This enables them to provide every single patient with the best course of treatment. The result is a single scan that shows a 3D image of teeth, soft tissues, nerve pathways and bone.
This 3D image provides clear and precise data on exact tooth positions and their relationship to mouth anatomy. Combined with the Planmeca ProMax 3D’s flexible planning and treatment tools, Dr. Burke and Dr. Redford gain an improved understanding of patients’ conditions—allowing them to determine the most effective and least-invasive treatment plan.
This 3D treatment planning has several advantages over conventional 2D x-ray images, which were often distorted and had magnification errors. With Planmeca ProMax 3D, the images are 100% accurate and without distortion. For the imaging sciences, moving from 2D x-rays to 3D x-rays was like going from analog to digital.
How 3D Panoramic Imaging Is Used
The best orthodontists use the images from the Planmeca ProMax 3D in several ways, including:
- Orthodontic evaluation and treatment planning
- Identifying the precise location of impacted teeth so they can be safely recovered
- Identifying the precise root locations of each tooth, including root angulations
- Conducting airway assessments related to sleep apnea issues
- Identifying missing or extra teeth
- Assessing 3rd molar positions
The Planmeca ProMax 3D also finds supernumerary teeth and their exact locations. Supernumerary teeth is a fancy term for “extra” teeth—a condition known as hyperdontia. Issues related to supernumerary teeth include:
- Interference with the normal eruption of permanent teeth
- Crowding, displacement, and misalignment of teeth
- Chewing problems
- Fusion with permanent teeth
- Cosmetic issues
Supernumerary teeth should be identified and treated as soon as possible. With the Planmeca ProMax 3D, these extra teeth can easily be revealed so an appropriate treatment plan can be made.
Benefits of the Planmeca ProMax 3D
The Planmeca ProMax 3D offers numerous benefits—primarily related to patient health, comfort and safety.
These benefits include:
- Extremely low-dose radiation for patient safety. The Planmeca ProMax 3D QuickScan gives high resolution 3D panoramic images at a radiation dose that is comparable to a 2D panoramic image. This makes it safe to use on both children and adults. No radiation remains in the body after use, and there are no side effects.
- Fast scans. A complete scan takes less than 10 seconds but provides comprehensive and high-quality images. The images can be shown to patients immediately and sent to referring dentists and physicians.
- Painless and non-invasive. Patients sit in the Planmeca ProMax 3D unit on the padded chair while resting their jaw on a chin rest. The unit revolves around the patient to complete the scan. There is no need to “bite down” on x-ray film.
- Open environment. The Planmeca ProMax 3D unit provides an open environment and plenty of space so patients will not feel claustrophobic.
When Searching Google for the Best Orthodontist Near Me, You’ll Want to Contact Burke & Redford Orthodontists in Temecula or Lake Elsinore by calling our main office at (951) 699-8011, or fill out the consultation form on our website anytime.