How Damon System Braces Can Improve Your Smile
They say “a picture is worth a thousand words.” This is certainly true for before and after photos of patients who have worn Damon braces. The results transformations are amazing for patients of Burke & Redford Orthodontics.
What you might not know is that Damon braces often improve facial aesthetics in addition to straightening teeth. Many adult patients end up with a fuller, wider smile and improved facial balance (including smoother cheek contours). The result is a more youthful appearance. Some call this the Damon System Bracelift™.
However, Damon braces are not just for adults. They can be used by patients of all ages to correct a variety of orthodontic issues.
Pros and Cons of Damon Braces
Damon braces are a form of self-ligating braces. Self-ligating braces use special doors and clips to secure the orthodontic wire rather than the elastic ties that usually go around brackets.
Advantages of Damon braces include:
- Faster and more comfortable adjustment appointments. The doctors simply open and close the doors when changing wires and making adjustments. Also, manual tightening is not required.
- Fewer office visits are needed because teeth move into place faster than with traditional braces. In some cases, the treatment time is several months shorter.
- Easier to clean than traditional braces because elastic ties that attract and collect plaque are not required.
- Less discomfort is possible because the forces used to move the teeth are gentler.
However, Damon braces aren’t perfect. Damon braces disadvantages include:
- Fixed brackets and wires are still used. This means you can’t entirely escape the appearance of metal in your mouth. However, Damon Clear braces dramatically minimize the visibility of the braces by using transparent or tooth-colored ceramic brackets instead of metal brackets. Also, the wire is very thin and almost unnoticeable.
- Pain and discomfort during the first few days. Unfortunately, any braces system will cause some initial discomfort or soreness as your mouth adjusts. Luckily, the soreness recedes within a few days and can be managed with over the counter pain relievers. Dental wax can help prevent mouth sores.
Damon Clear Braces Are Virtually Invisible
Damon braces are available in two versions—metal and clear. Stainless steel and polycarbonate are used for the metal brackets. The clear brackets, known as Damon Clear, are made of ceramic and can be tooth-colored or transparent.
In Damon Clear braces pictures, you can hardly tell that patients are wearing braces. Because there are no metal clips or elastic ties and the archwire is very thin, Damon Clear braces are almost invisible.
Clear Damon braces are usually worn by older teens and adults concerned with the cosmetic appearance of their braces. However, patients of any age can wear Damon Clear braces. Other than the color and material used for the brackets, there is no difference in length of treatment, treatment quality, or results between metal and clear braces.
Damon clear braces cost of orthodontic treatments will vary, depending upon each patient’s individual needs and case complexity. If finances are a concern, our office offers payment options with zero interest. Discounts are provided for payment in full, and credit cards are accepted. Our staff will also determine how insurance benefits will contribute to the total orthodontic fee and help with your paperwork.
Dr. Burke and Dr. Redford believe that the cost of braces or other orthodontic treatment should never keep patients from achieving the smile and oral health they’ve always wanted.
Can You Get Colors on Damon Braces?
Colored elastics are still an option with Damon braces. Although most patients prefer to minimize the appearance of their braces, we’ve found that our younger patients enjoy “dressing up” their braces with different color elastics. So, even though Damon braces don’t require elastics, the doctors can still place a colored elastic underneath the archwire for patients who want to personalize and decorate their braces.
We offer a wide variety of colored elastics, so patients can choose their favorite one. Many opt to coordinate the elastics with the colors of an upcoming holiday or of their school or athletic team. The choice is up to them! Colgate provides some information about the Damon Braces system, too.
Fix More Than Crooked Teeth
It is important to remember that Damon braces can correct a variety of orthodontic problems besides crooked teeth. In fact, Damon Braces can fix open bites and under bites on patients.
- Treating Open Bites. With an open bite, the front teeth don’t touch when patients close their mouths. The result is that the mouth may appear to be open even when it is closed, which causes many patients to be self-conscious about their appearance. Open bites are caused by dental or skeletal issues or bad habits (such as thumb sucking or tongue thrusting). Sometimes it is a combination of all three. Patients with an open bite may experience difficulty breathing, painful chewing, excessive wear and tear on teeth, or speech issues (such as a lisp).Each patient’s treatment will depend upon the severity of the open bite. Damon braces can help by pulling the teeth back into a better position. Other treatment options might include a tongue thrust appliance, a Herbst appliance, or a habit appliance. Sometimes Invisalign clear aligners can help correct the problem. In extreme cases, jaw surgery may be needed.
- Treating Under Bites. An underbite occurs when the lower jaw protrudes beyond the upper teeth, which causes the bottom teeth to sit in front of the upper teeth when the mouth is closed.Even a slight under bite can cause serious problems, such as:
- Misaligned teeth
- Tooth decay
- Broken teeth
- Gum disease and infections
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, and breathing
- Speech impediments
- Altered face shape
- Underbites usually have genetic origins. Because underbites typically won’t self-correct, orthodontic intervention is required to address the problem. Early intervention is crucial to success. If an underbite is suspected in a child, it is important they be evaluated by an orthodontist as early as age 7, but no later than age 9. Open bite braces are used to align teeth. Other treatment options include appliances such as an upper jaw expander, a reverse-pull face mask, temporary anchorage devices for jaw movement, or tooth extraction. In some cases, jaw surgery may be required.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Top Orthodontists
Check out our Damon Braces before and after pictures and if you’d like to learn more about Damon braces and our other orthodontic treatments, call the best family orthodontist in Temecula and Lake Elsinore at Burke & Redford Orthodontists at (951) 699-8011 to schedule a free consultation, or fill out the form on our website and an experienced staff member will give you a call to schedule a time that works best for you and your family.