What are Damon System Braces?
Damon System Braces are self-ligating, which means no elastic ties are needed to hold the archwire in place. Rather, a door mechanism is used to secure the wire. Damon braces are high-quality brackets that can produce excellent results. That said, claims by the company and some orthodontists that this system moves teeth faster and with shorter treatment times than other brace types have not been supported by well-designed studies. Learn more about the Damon System Bracelift.
Other unsupported claims about the Damon system are that it moves teeth more efficiently and comfortably than other braces systems and with less pain and sensitivity.
Schedule a Free Consultation to see if the Damon System is Right for You by Calling Our Office During Business Hours at (951) 699-8011 of Filling Out the Form on Our Website Anytime.
What is the Damon System Bracelift?
Damon braces, as with other braces systems, straighten teeth and enhance the aesthetics of a person’s smile. As part of their marketing campaign, the Damon system parent company, Ormco, has termed results achieved with the Damon system as a “Damon System Bracelift™.” While this sounds nice, there is no evidence to support that results achieved with the Damon system are different than other bracket systems.
Conversely, the results achieved during treatment are closely correlated to the skill level of the treating orthodontist and staff. Each patient presents with a unique set of orthodontic problems and reducing the solution to a single system or method is shortsighted and can negatively affect the outcome.
A full, “toothy” smile that enhances facial balance is possible with the Damon system, just as with other bracket systems, if a proper treatment plan has been implemented. In some cases, this may include the use of an expander device in conjunction with the Damon system to achieve a broader smile than is possible with the Damon system alone.
What are the different types of Damon Braces?
Damon braces come in two different versions: metal and clear. Clear Damon braces are known as Damon Clear. Damon Clear brackets are less visible than metal Damon brackets, and no ligatures are required on either style.
Metal Damon braces are composed of stainless steel. There is no difference in the quality of result or treatment times between metal and Damon Clear braces. The only difference is in the color and material used for the brackets
Damon Braces Pros and Cons
- Damon braces are high quality and well manufactured.
- Steel ligatures are not required. The self-ligating mechanism makes time in the dental chair for adjustments quicker and easier.
- In the right hands and with good case selection, excellent results can be achieved.
- Damon braces may cost more than traditional braces.
- Patients may be under the assumption that some of the misleading claims are true. For example, that the system can perform the same movements as with expanders or bite correctors, that it positively affects sleep apnea problems, that there is less discomfort and faster treatment times than with other braces systems, or that tooth extractions can always be avoided. These claims are made for marketing purposes and are not supported by well-designed orthodontic studies.
Damon Braces Results
Damon braces are one of many technologically advanced tools that an orthodontist can utilize to straighten teeth. Damon braces before and after pictures serve as a good visual guide to demonstrate the type of result that can be achieved with this system.
What are Ceramic Braces?
Ceramic braces, as their name suggests, and made of ceramic material. They can be the perfect choice for patients who are concerned with the esthetics of metal brackets and wires used with metal braces. They are the esthetic version of traditional braces.
Ceramic braces also come in a self-ligating version, like Damon braces. Composed of ceramic, the brackets used are either clear or tooth colored. In addition to brackets that are virtually invisible, a white-coated wire and clear elastics can be used, which further reduces how noticeable they appear.
Clear Braces vs. Damon Clear
Clear ceramic braces can straighten teeth with equal effectiveness as Damon Clear braces or metal braces. The difference is in the brand name. GAC Innovation and GC Experience are other popular brand names of self-ligating clear ceramic braces that can achieve great results.
Ceramic vs. Metal Braces
Clear ceramic braces are identical to metal braces in function. Both use elastics and wire and are used to treat typical orthodontic needs. Treatment times are the same. The only difference is in appearance.
Pros of Ceramic Braces
- Clear ceramic braces are less visible than metal braces.
- They can predictably perform complex tooth movements in ways that have traditionally been difficult with Invisalign, such as large rotational or vertical movements.
Determining the Best Choice
When deciding the best choice for future orthodontic treatment, a great place to start is to view before and after braces pictures. These images are a great example of the spectacular outcomes that can be achieved through orthodontics.
There are several factors that must be examined when considering the material options.
- Appearance – How visible will the treatment be?
- Speed – How quickly will it progress?
- Complexity – How complex are the orthodontic issues?
- Cost – What is the budget for treatment?
Whether it’s Damon Braces, clear ceramic braces, teen braces, or one of our other children’s orthodontic braces we offer, one of the first steps in determining the best course of treatment is to schedule a free orthodontic consultation with Dr. Redford at Burke and Redford Orthodontists in Temecula and Lake Elsinore, California. Call (951) 699-8011 or Schedule Your Free Orthodontic Consultation Online Anytime.