What are Ceramic Braces?
As technology advances in the world of orthodontics, more and more options are being developed for correcting crooked teeth in the least noticeable ways possible.
For some patients, especially older adolescents, and adults, one of the main obstacles to wearing braces is the appearance of the appliance. Because of this, these patients seek options that offer a minimalistic, imperceptible look.
Children tend to be more accepting and in many cases are in fact excited about the idea of braces that are visible and able to be decorated with colors. For these kids, traditional metal braces, which can be seen in plain sight, are often preferred.
For those who want an inconspicuous option, ceramic orthodontic braces have become a popular choice. These clear braces are desired due to their clear, less noticeable appearance.
At Burke & Redford Orthodontists, our board-certified doctors specialize in the most innovative orthodontic care and treatment for every kind of patient, young or adult.
Benefits of Ceramic Braces
Thanks to new innovations in orthodontics, wearing braces has never been safer, more efficient, or less visible.
In the past, ceramic braces were known to stain easily, be quite fragile in terms of durability, and difficult to remove. However, due to recent advancements in design, these problems are no longer a concern.
Ceramic braces are an increasingly popular option in orthodontic treatment, and for good reason.
Listed below are some of the benefits of choosing clear ceramic braces.
- These appliances, which may be clear or tooth-colored, are virtually invisible. Ceramic braces with white wire or colored bands are also available. White wires are typically the preferred choice and clear latex-free versions of elastics can be used for maximum esthetics when correcting the bite with braces.
- The clear ceramic braces offered by Burke & Redford Orthodontists are self-ligating. This innovative system allows for quick and easy adjustments, less time in the orthodontist chair, and longer time intervals between adjustment visits.
- Clear braces tend to be quite sturdy when cared for properly.
- Because of the ability of clear braces to blend in with the patient’s teeth, many patients can wear their braces confidently and without the need to feel self-conscious.
Traditional Metal Braces vs. Self-Ligating Braces
While some people are perfectly content with traditional metal braces, others may be drawn to the pioneering technology of self-ligating braces. These braces have been designed to secure the archwire responsible for moving the teeth within the braces themselves and without the need for a colored elastic tie on each individual brace.
Without the need for an elastic tie that needs to be replaced every 4-6 weeks once broken down, these braces allow the shape memory wires to do their job over long periods of time. These innovative wires move the teeth into their intended alignment gradually and gently according to the orthodontist’s treatment plan. Self-ligating braces are available in both metal and ceramic versions.
While scheduled appointments are still required periodically, self-ligating systems, along with the newest technology in wires, reduce the frequency a patient needs to come in for routine adjustments by the orthodontist.
Many patients gravitate toward self-ligating braces because of all these reasons: less time spent in the chair, fewer visits to the orthodontist, and excellent clinical results.
Dr. Redford and Dr. Burke are constantly scouring the market for the latest technology and best materials to serve their patients. If you would like to learn more about our self-ligating options for braces and get more detail about Ceramic vs. Metal Braces, please contact Burke & Redford Orthodontists at (951) 699-8011 for a no-obligation, free consultation. Your financial investment for treatment will also be discussed in detail at this visit. We have offices conveniently located in Temecula and Lake Elsinore.
How Much Do Ceramic Braces Cost?
The overall fee for treatment depends upon several factors. The complexity of the treatment plan and the estimated time to complete are considerations. The patient’s insurance benefit can help offset these costs. We accept all PPO insurances and are participating providers for Delta, Metlife and United Concordia. We encourage you to schedule a complimentary consultation even if we are not contracted with your insurance.
Our top orthodontist practice has staff specifically trained to work with insurance companies and help patients find out what the total cost will be with their plan.
What is the Average Length of Treatment?
When it comes to braces or Invisalign, the average case in the United States lasts approximately 20-22 months. That said, very mild cases can be completed in as little as a few months while severe cases can run long relative to the national average. Treatment time is unique to each patient and is dependent on several factors.
The most significant factor is how complex the issues are that the orthodontist needs to correct. Severe cases take longer to correct than mild cases. Individual biology is another determinant of how fast teeth will move. Some people’s teeth will naturally move faster than others. Again, each patient is unique. Dr. Redford and Dr. Burke make every attempt to be as efficient as possible while maintaining their high standard for excellent clinical results.
How to Care for Ceramic Braces
Ceramic braces are like other braces in the type of care they require. Below are some of the best steps a patient can take in caring for their braces:
- Brushing should take place several times each day. Two times daily (morning and evening) at a minimum, but it is a good ideal to brush after each meal. Flossing is advised at least once per day. This will help prevent staining and plaque build-up.
- The scheduled appointments as recommended by the orthodontist’s treatment plan should be kept and if any unforeseen circumstances arise (Ie. loose brackets), the office should be notified so repairs can be made promptly. This will help keep treatment running on track.
- Any activities that might stain the teeth should be avoided. Smoking or drinking dark-colored drinks regularly while wearing braces may cause stains.
What Should I Choose?
The patient should work with their orthodontist to decide what treatment option is best for their set of orthodontic problems and their desired goals for treatment. Each patient is different, and with Dr. Redford and Dr. Burke being the best orthodontist team in Temecula, they will be able to utilize their expertise to make the best recommendation.
Between Google My Business, Yelp, and Facebook, Burke & Redford Orthodontists have over 500, 5-star reviews online, which clearly showcases their professionalism and great success with their satisfied patients.
If you would like to get started on your way to a beautiful smile and discuss Ceramic vs. Metal Braces or our other braces options, please schedule a free consultation online or by calling our offices at (951) 699-8011. Dr. Redford and Dr. Burke look forward to providing you with the best possible care.